Frequently Asked Questions
What is this course all about, and what can I learn from it?
Linking Your Thinking is a workshop where you'll work to create your custom PKM system. PKM stands for Personal Knowledge Management. It is a way of working with your ideas in your notes so you can be a better thinker.
The LYT workshop is also a community-driven learning experience. So you'll have a great time learning more from and with your peers.
The live workshop will run for five weeks. But you can continue to work with your PKM system and connect with others after that because all members will have lifetime access to the curriculum and alumni community.
Linking Your Thinking is all about making a change in your
relationship with knowledge.
Will this course teach me how to use Obsidian?
No, but you will naturally learn a lot about it during the workshop.
You can, however, buy Nick’s Obsidian course, Obsidian Flight School.
If you're eager to join the workshop, but want to ensure you know some fundamentals in Obsidian before the workshop begins, you can start by watching our free Obsidian for Beginners series on YouTube right here.
How much is the workshop?
You can join the LYT Workshop through the following options:
- LYT Sprint: $ 1199
- LYT Journey: $ 1599
When can I enroll?
The next enrollment runs from May 15, 2023 through May 19, 2023.
Once you’ve enrolled, here are the dates to keep in mind:
- Workshop start date: Tuesday, May 30, 2023
- Workshop end date: Friday, June 30, 2023
How does the workshop work?
Once you’ve enrolled, you’ll begin to receive a series of warmup emails. These emails have resources to get you thinking about your PKM before the workshop officially begins.
In the next coming days after your enrollment, we'll be sending you step-by-step email instructions on how to get the best workshop experience. You will also receive an invitation to a live pre-workshop onboarding event taking place on Monday, May 29th, the day before the workshop formally begins. All of this will help you understand how to hit the ground running during our five weeks together by learning how to navigate and participate throughout the workshop.
Learn with Your Peers
During the five-week workshop, you'll be learning alongside individuals from all over the world, of all ages, professions, and in different parts of their PKM Journey. Everyone brings a very unique perspective and the discussions that spring up and questions asked throughout the workshop and afterwards are always interesting and thought-provoking.
There will be 6 units focused in providing you the tools and insight to create your LYT PKM system. We release each unit every Wednesday at 10:30 AM PST.
The Learning Tools
1. Circle to see all of the workshop content, events, and curriculum, as well as where you will connect with your peers.
2. Zoom for the live sessions each week.
3. Your linked based app of choice. It doesn't have to be Obsidian. It can be Roam Research, Athens, Logseq, Tana, Scrintal, etc. As long as it's an app that can create links to other notes, the LYT lessons will work for you.
The Live Sessions
1. Tuesday Super sessions - Nick reviews the latest curriculum insights. We get hands-on time in breakout rooms. We rapidly develop our systems and ideas. We get and receive feedback to instantly iterate.
2. Wednesday Sensemaking sessions - These sessions are Nick's favorite part of the workshop. They are high-value training sessions where we work the note-making muscles. These sessions are not just a fun exercise; they are a way to rebuild our muscles of thinking critically, creatively, and connectively. We get the repetitions. We drill the skills. Sensemaking sessions are an environment to coax out and habitualize your best thinking.
3. ExpertSessions - Subject-Matter Experts will demonstrate how they leverage their PKM in their respective field. The experts will host two sessions each during the LYT Workshop available to both Sprint and Journey participants. Those on the journey will also have access to two additional sessions after the LYT Workshop (both live and the recordings). These applied-learning sessions will give you ideas and guidance that you can use for your PKM efforts.
Showcase Week & Closing Ceremony
We also call these sessions "opening up the garage doors". It's the place and time for our members to share their best insights and progress so far in making their PKM system. A lot of our workshop members look forward to this session because of the different and creative applications of the LYT lessons. You can watch some of them right here.
What is a LYT Crew and LYT Guide? How will they help me learn more?
To make the learning more joyful and effective, you will be assigned with a crew of diverse LYT workshop members from all over the world. The group will be up to 15-20 people.
The LYT Guides will be the ones to help facilitate and guide your learning experience. There is usually one or two assigned for each crew.
What is the Linking Your Thinking curriculum?
Unit 1 - PKM & Idea Emergence
Unit 1 sets the scene of “Personal Knowledge Management”.
✅ We will explore the rocky transition from the “folders-only” systems we all grew up with, to systems that allow for robust linking.
✅ We will identify how note-taking practices have failed us, show how note-making practices are needed.
✅ We will identify the ways we can make relationships between notes.
✅ We will reflect on our own unique PKM drives, styles, goals, and use cases.
Unit 2 - Growing Value
In this Unit, we dive deeply into questioning where “value” comes from.
✅ We explore the Time Value of Ideas, and the compound effects of your PKM habits.
✅ We get hands-on reps creating and building evergreen notes.
✅ We consider how we actually even approach our knowledge in the first place.
✅ And we finish by playing around with the LYT Workshop’s PRM (“Personal Relationship Manager”).
Unit 3 -
There will be 6 units focused in providing you the tools and insight to create your LYT PKM system. We release each unit every Friday at 9:00 PDT / 16:00 UTC. You'll also receive an online guidebook that will have the summary of each unit and prompts you'll need to focus on.
Unit 4 -
1. Discourse to connect and connect with your crew members.
2. Zoom for the 2 live sessions each week.
3. Your linked based app of choice. (It doesn't have to be Obsidian. It can be Roam Research, Athens, Logseq, etc.) As long as it's an app that can create links to other notes, the LYT lessons will work for you.
Unit 5 -
1. Tuesday live sessions - we'll review the latest curriculum insights. We get hands-on time in breakout rooms. We rapidly develop our systems and ideas. We get and receive feedback to instantly iterate.
2. Wednesday live sessions - these are Nick's favorite part of the workshop. They are high-value training sessions where we work the note-making muscles. These sessions are not just a fun exercise; they are a way to rebuild our muscles of thinking critically, creatively, and connectively. We get the repetitions. We drill the skills. Sensemaking sessions are an environment to coax out and habitualize your best thinking.
Unit 6 -
What’s the schedule and timezone of the live sessions?
Enrollment - May 15, 2023 - May 19, 2023
LYT Workshop 11 formally starts on May 30, 2023 and ends on June 30, 2023.
Onboarding starts on Monday, May 29th at 9:00 AM PST (Los Angeles) / 16:00 UTC
Dates: May 30; June 6, 13, and 20
Duration: 1 hour and 30 minutes (+ extra 30 minutes for Q&A with Nick)
Time: 9:00 AM PST - 10:30 AM PST
Dates: May 31; June 7, 14, and 21
Duration: 1 hour
Time: Morning session: 9:00 AM PST - 10:00 AM PST
Afternoon session: 4:00 PM PST - 5:00 PM PST
Dates: June 26- June 30
Duration: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Will there be a recording of the live sessions?
Yes. We aim to upload all recordings 1-2 hours after the live event. They will be posted in our forum. Recordings will also have timestamps and chat transcripts available.
Will my learning experience still be great even
if I can’t attend the live sessions
and just watch the recordings?
Yes. But it’s up to you. Here’s what you do...
Watch the recording as soon as possible. Make comments below (since we use Circle, everything is integrated beautifully). Ask questions below. Like bees to honey, you’ll attract your fellow workshop members to respond. And once they do, you’ve not only continued the conversation—you’ve brought it to you! In that way, it’s the next best thing to being at the event live. Can you commit to watching the recording, making comments, and asking questions? I would hope so.
So you feel it’s still valuable for me as a person in a different time zone to use the recordings and experience it asynchronously there?
Yes. Every workshop has robust interaction between all participants. That’s where you get the best experience: by leaning forward, commenting, sharing, and asking questions. If you do that, your asynchronous workshop experience will be a powerful one. Also, we will be offering our Wednesday live events at two separate times so that people in the Asia-Pacific time zones can more easily attend!
How often are the course materials updated?
In every workshop, Nick is in there tweaking this, fine-tuning that. The core curriculum won’t be changed and many of the videos are so good there is no reason to update them, but everything in the workshop—every lesson, every question, every prompt—is gone over with a fine-toothed comb and constantly tweaked for an even better curated experience for every workshop. It’s a labor of love and rest assured, you will only get the best.
Can I download the lessons?
No. The lessons are deeply integrated into our custom learning platform (on Circle). Learning isn’t just about consuming videos. The best learning is a mixture of text, audio, and video blended seamlessly with organic interactions through comments and side-channels—stirred consciously with live sessions and group discussions.
What did your graduates say about their experience in the workshop?
We’re grateful for the positive feedback we’ve received from the last eight workshops. You can check their testimonials here. You can also check some of the PKM systems they’ve built here.
Can you help me decide? Which is the best option for me: LYT Sprint or LYT Journey?
LYT Sprint is perfect for most people wanting to build their custom PKM system.
LYT Journey is for note-makers who want to continually develop their PKM system over time.
Many LYT alumni members have paid to return to the workshop to approach the updated concepts and exercises with the benefit of being further along in their PKM development as well as wanting the social accountability and caliber of discussion that the workshop community offers.
Because of this, we’ve offered the LYT Journey package, which includes 3 workshops in one year.
Will you offer a teacher or student’s discount? Do you offer scholarship programs?
We support teachers, students, and anyone else who's living in a developing country. You can apply for a scholarship as soon as we're ready to open the next workshop. Please sign up for our waiting list to receive our email about this.
Will Nick be able to answer all of my questions?
Nick will be able to answer your top questions, and he will be highly active in the forum. And based on our alumni feedback, the equal value will be coming from the bonds and discussions you create with your crew members and the entire cohort.
What's your refund policy?
You can make a full refund request at email@example.com before the end of the first week of the workshop (May 29 - June 2).
No withdrawals or refunds are possible after the first 7 days of the workshop.
I'm just starting out. Can I really build my
custom PKM with this workshop?
It's more important and valuable to attend the workshop now—at the start of your journey—as opposed to later, so you do things the right way at the very start. You'll avoid a lot of pain years down the road.
During the LYT Workshop, Manuel was completely new to PKM—just like you. Here's what he wrote about his experience in the workshop:
My main concern was that I thought that PKM being something new to me, would make me fall behind others that were already familiar with it. But even though there were such people I quickly realized that the workshop was built in a way that even someone who is only slightly familiar with PKM could understand.
Student of Computer Science